Follow These Steps If You Want To Buy a Home
By Jason Boone
Buying a home is an exciting thing because; you’re finally going to take the step beyond just being a renter to being a homeowner and actually having more control over your surroundings.
Although home buying can be exciting it can also be a confusing process as well but with these 6 steps to home ownership you will be on the right path to buying a home which you will love.
Step 1 – Get Your Finances Ready
Your financial life is an important part to being able to buy the home which you will really love. In order to get your finances in order you must do the following:
A. Check your credit history to make sure it’s 100% accurate.
B. Get pre-approved for a mortgage.
C. Find out what type of mortgage you really qualify for.
D. Save at least 20% for a down payment.
Step 2 – Find a Real Estate Agent
• Contact a friend or family member for a referral to a local Realtor.
• Don’t be afraid to ask the Realtor about the length of their contract and make sure you are aware of the terms for the contract which you are signing.
Step 3 – Find the Right Home
During the process of searching for a home make sure your Realtor is well aware of what you are searching for in a home including the neighborhood where you want to live, bedrooms/bathrooms you want in a home and most important of all what your budget is.
Step 4 – Finance the Home
• Contact your lender to tell them you’ve found a home you want to purchase.
• Your lender will complete a title search to make sure there are no other claims on the title.
• Take the time to discuss financing terms with your lender and make sure you completely understand them.
Step 5 – Making an Offer
After you’ve spoken with your lender you must do the following before making an offer on a home:
1. Hire an inspector to check the home out from top to bottom to make sure there’s nothing that needs to be fixed on the home before you make your offer.
2. Make a competitive offer.
3. Don’t make any major purchases because, this will keep your credit score stable.
Step 6 – Closing
Once you’re officially a homeowner make sure you invest in homeowners insurance as well as disaster, flood and fire insurance if needed.
You will also need to do the following after moving in:
• Switch all bills over to your name.
• Keep all files both in print, including closing documents in a safe place.
• Weatherproof your home
Learn More about Buying a Home in Bend
To learn more about buying a home in Bend, or to view homes for sale across the area, contact me, Jason Boone, Principal Broker with Duke Warner Realty | Skjersaa Group by calling me at (541) 383-1426 or by emailing me.